Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What's for dinner . . .

Moms worst question EVER . . . what's for dinner. I hate that question. The worst time to be asked that question, while we are eating lunch. For cripes sake we aren't even done with one meal. Anyway last night for FHE (Family Home Evening) I asked everyone to come prepared with 10 meals that don't have to be their favorite, but just meals that they would complain about. They all took me seriously, I've given assignments before only to be blown off, but this they did. We had a great time going around the table and talking about things and memories we had of different meal and it actually turned out pretty good.

Ammon of course had to put down funny (and disgusting things like haggis . . . which he has never had and I'm sure there would be complaining that night). Plus he had much more then 20.

Taft is my pickiest and so he had a hard time finishing his list but few things surprised me. Mostly eggs with sausage, eggs with bacon, eggs with ham . . . he does like eggs.

BJ didn't have a problem, but none of his were easy meals.

Carson had a hard time and every time someone mentioned something he wanted it added to his list, including haggis. I should make that just to show them, huh?

Heber wouldn't let anyone help him and had to write his list out. I thought it was funny so here it is along with interpretations . . .

1. Pot sticker's!!! (he wanted to make sure I added the explanation points)
2. spinich with breead or noodlis (spinach artichoke dip & chicken ravioli with spinach)
3. Ravelee (Ravioli)
4. hot wings (Chicken tenders with Wingers sauce)
5. nochoos (Nachos)
6. spoogety (Spaghetti)
7. spoogety tocos (Spaghetti tacos - - whatever they might me, who knows)
8. toco salid with doreetos (Taco salad with Doritos)
9. doreetos (He must like Doritos)
10. sheepperd pie (that was close)
11. hot wings (He must like what he likes)
12. kafaereeeo (This one took me a minute . . . Cafe Rio)

Bill's list was in the form of an email. He started keeping track, mostly because of the complaining especially from Taft that we had spaghetti madness every other night. I know it was to help, but every once in a while when that is the most hated question, I hate to hear we have had that 3.5 times in last month. He actually doesn't say that.

My goal is to have a menu a month in advance, we will see. I'm not making that menu public, they can still wait to see when it hits the table. I can only take so much complaining, I'm not going to hear about it a month in advance.

I don't do too bad when I know in advance what I'm going to make, then if I change my mind last minute it is a conscious decision not a thrown together mad house.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I hate coming up with what to have for dinner. If someone would just tell me what to make everyday I'd happily do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dinners are always hard for me. Good luck with the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always hate getting asked what's for dinner, so I usually answer "fried eels" or "monkey brains."

    ReplyDelete