Monday, February 9, 2009

Draper Temple Open House

We took the kids to the Draper, Utah temple open house. It was so beautiful. I was so surprised by the colors. For some reason at first it just seemed wrong the colors we so hip and dark, but it was really beautiful. The kids seemed irritated at first because it was Friday night and they either wanted to go with friends or have a video night, but as the night progressed on they all had a great time.



B.J. seemed to have quite a few questions and really enjoyed the cookies at the end.




Taft seemed to really be soaking it all in quietly, really liked it, enjoyed the cookies, was embarrassed by how loud Heber was and was glad to be going home by the time we were done.



Ammon just completely soaked in the whole experience and asked a bunch of questions and really was impressed, he liked the cookies too.


Carson loved it and was particularly impressed with the baptismal font and the bus ride. He really loved the cookies and kept bringing my oatmeal raisin cookies because they are my favorite. Heber did too so I was beginning to look like a pig because I think Ammon brought me one too. Carson got separated from us and we were all in different places on the bus so I was trying to figure out if we had everyone as they were shutting the door. He wasn't on the bus so they had to wait while I went back in, he had found his primary teacher and they were just waiting for us to come back and get him.


Heber loved the whole thing and just ate it up. His favorite part was the bus ride and the whole bus had to hear a roaming commentary on the whole trip. "the temple is over on our right" "it's over on our left" (the road was wound around quite a bit so we got a lot of updates) he started to tell everyone what to do when we parked "please remain seated until the ride comes to a complete stop". He took the brochure very seriously. We were suppose to be very quiet and he did his best to whisper but would verbally check things off as we came to them "okay there is that couch" "there are the big cows". We had a primary lesson on the alter in the temple and he was very anxious to be able to see it and the huge chandelier in the celestial room. When we got in the celestial room everything was so much quieter then anywhere else and I pointed out the chandelier to which both Carson and Heber said rather loudly "COOL". He left the carpet runner and was about to sit in one of the chairs when I hurriedly caught him just about to make himself comfortable.


After all that on the ride home I didn't quiet him at all (well maybe a little) but felt glad that we had got out of there without much more noise or events.


We were trying to decide if we really were going to go, we knew it would be a long trip and not sure if we thought it was worth it. It was so well worth it. I am so glad the kids were able to go and see it. I really think they enjoyed it and it was good for them to see where Bill and I go when we go to the temple. Heber said it was still the best to see the alter where you get to hold hands over.

4 comments:

  1. Cookies?! I've never been to an open house with cookies. Looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember cookies either. It sound like you had a great night though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, yes there were cookies. I am wishing I had one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found one of those cookies in Bill's coat . . . . 2 weeks later . . . . all crumbs!!

    ReplyDelete