Friday, February 6, 2009

Denny's and the Superbowl

 
So during the Superbowl the had an advertisement for free breakfast at Denny's, my kids thought that would be fun. None of them really thought we might try it out. BJ and Taft had school, but the other kids were off track. I thought about going and just surprising the kids and just taking the kids that were off track. That morning Carson woke up at 7:30 when I got home from driving the Junior hight kids to school and was so disappointed he didn't wake up at 6am to go to breakfast, which made me think maybe we should try out this crazy thing. Bill emailed asking if I was going to the take the Junior High kids and I thought that it might be fun. I haven't ever done anything like this, but thought that it might really be fun. Bill said that his mom had done something similar once or twice and he had really enjoyed it. I packed up the elementary kids and headed over to the Junior High.
The kids didn't have any idea and looked shocked, but you could wipe their smiles off their face. They asked if they would be going back to school and immediatly BJ was thinking. What are we going to tell them, how much
trouble are we going to be in, I had better not let it slip to his friends so they don't get in trouble. I assured them they would be okay and that I had told the office that we had a family event and needed to check them out and depending on how long it took they may not be back that day.
BJ kept saying "well I guess we aren't technically lying because we are all here". We drove past Denny's and the lines were crazy. I took a little picture of the line. I asked the kids if they wanted to wait in that line or if they would rather go to McDonalds. They all wanted to go to McDonalds except BJ. He was deteremined to go to Denny's. When I did some further investigation it was because he thought if we went to Denny's that would be more time out of school.
Mother of the year went even further and told them that it didn't matter where we went we were just going home afterwards and taking a day off of everything and would be playing video games.
It was such a great time, there wasn't any fighting. They all got along and enjoyed each others company. We got talking about all sorts of things on our way there. Somehow the subject got to proposition 8 in California, some kids in school had been telling BJ and Taft how wrong our church was and so we talked for a long time on freedoms, religion and politics.
It was one of the best times I have ever had with my kids and whether they remember it or not I always will. Not because I was a rebel and had a hooky day, but we just had a great time together and really got to talk and enjoy each other.
I'll have to do this once a year, the kids all said they wanted to do it everyday. I told them it was a very rare occasion and we have only done it once in the 10 years total that the kids have been in school so don't count on it. Taft said he is free next week, ha-ha.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun. Lyle's office actually went together. I drove past and the line was crazy.

    ReplyDelete