Sunday, November 30, 2008

Halloween

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holiday. When I was young My mom always made chili so that when we came home cold we would have a warm dinner with Apple Cider. I have never been a fan of chili, but nothings better on Halloween. Bill and his family had the same tradition so it worked out perfectly to have this continue in our family.
It has kind-of grown from there. I'm not a great host and I get a little stressed out inviting people over, but for Halloween we have ended up with quite a few people.
It seems to grow every year. This year I made about 20 quarts of chili and about 140 bread sticks. We also have hot apple cider.
Either I or Bill go out with the kids (although I really think we both just locked the house last year and went for a while together, but Bill is sure we never leave the house, his house got robbed and has been vandalized quite a few times on Halloween and so he doesn't like to leave). Anyway this year I took the kids around for a while in the van and went around to our ward, our ward is spread out so we just hit the houses that we knew.
A friend and neighbor came along for the ride with her son Kyle while her husband stayed home and handed out candy. Once we came home we let the older kids go out with friends while we entertained. We had about 4 or 5 families over and invited a few neighbors over for a hot bowl of chili.
It was so fun to have a scary movie going, friends over and talking with a ton of kids playing everywhere. The clean-up the next day wasn't as fun, but I was smarter about my food prep this year so even that wasn't terrible.

BJ was a Jazz fan, nothing out of the ordinary except that he usually only has face paint when he goes to a game or goes trick-or-treating . . . he didn't go all Putty on us and paint his belly though . . .


Taft was a Jazz player . . . .











. .



















Ammon was a "Ranger's Apprentice" from his favorite book . . .







































Carson got to be 2 things, pack meeting they dressed like their favorite book character so he was Harry Potter (no surprises here)


Then he was Batman on Halloween. He saved up his money around his birthday and bought his own costume.




















Heber wanted to a vampire, but just a normal vampire. "I want to be a vampire, but just a normal vampire with no name, like Dracula I don't want that name, no name just a normal vampire that doesn't have a name and can you come with me and tell people I don't have a name especially NOT Dracula".

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you're brave to have so many people over on Halloween! I am so frazzled on Halloween running here and there and doing trick-or-treating at Michael's work... I'm lucky to get my kids dinner, let alone entertain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was smarter this year and did a lot the day before. I'm trying out this "be more organized and not so crazy last minute" which isn't as easy as it sounds. Either that or I just fail a lot.

    ReplyDelete